Sunday, June 7, 2009

Training

This post goes out to all the guys who go to the gym a lot and maybe also for those who don't.

Now, I'm not very big, buff, cut, ripped, fast or coordinated but there is one thing I can say that I am with confidence. I am strong. The reason I am saying this is because that is why I lift, to become stronger. Both mentally and physically. To put myself to the test every week and to improve myself pound by pound.

"Isn't that why everyone goes to the gym?"

No. It really isn't. I'll admit when I started "working out" it was because I was crazy skinny and I was tired of getting punked on. I got a membership at 24 and started dumbbell curling away. After a few months my biceps got a little bigger, chest got more defined, and I loved taking off my shirt whenever I could. Everyone goes through this phase, I know. But its only a fucking phase. You need to grow out of it. When I go to the arc now probably like 6 out of every 10 guys I see are like this. So many douchebags have big biceps, big chest and... nothing else. Their calves are smaller than their arms, with a skinny pencil neck, and no back, no shoulders no nothing. Now, dont get me wrong, I'm not talking about beginners who just started lifting. I'm talking about guys who've lifted long enough to be drinking pre-workout mixes, wear bodybuilding.com shirts, and hold 15 minute conversations about supplements with their douchebag friends. Why do I have no respect for these people? Because they're lifting for the wrong reasons.

Which brings me to the next point, what are the right reasons? Or why should you lift? Better yet... Why do I lift? Yes, I lift to get stronger, but what is it really for? I feel like the quest to becoming strong is a very natrual thing for humans or even animals in general. Yes, we now live a techonological world and even skinny emo guys can get laid and the usefulness of physical strength is slowly declining. But nothing in the world can replace the physical strength of a man. A few weeks ago my 6 foot, 195 pound good friend was invovled in a motorcycle accident. He hit a car head on, flew over his handlebars, hit the car's windshield and skidded on the pavement. He was only wearing a helmet, t-shirt and jeans. Luckily, he survived this accident with only a broken wrist, fractured neck and a few stitches. But was it really lucky? What if it was someone else in his position? Perhaps a 6 foot 145 pound emo kid (wearing skinny jeans). Would his chances of survival be dramatically smaller? I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say yes. My bulky friend's life was saved because of his... well, bulkiness. For those of you who know me or talk to me a lot about lifting. I have probably asked you, how is weak man going to protect his girlfriend, be a role model for his son, fight off a mugger etc etc. (Ideas I've gotten from Jason Ferruggia* a trainer and author of Muscle Gaining Secrets) And most of you hear this and laugh it off like it will never happen or I'm being ridiculous. But my friend here is a prime example of where being strong really matters.

I blame the the whole gym industry for the creation of the pencil neck douchebags. First of all, there isnt really a set way of how to lift. They dont give you a manual when you sign up for the gym. There are many contradicting studies and most muscle magazines and supplement companies are just after your money. Honestly, I feel like even a lot of trainers dont know what they're talking about. Plus a lot of trainers are chicks who don't even lift heavy. They take some class, get certified, and then tell you to do 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps of some bitchass isolation excercise and get paid while doing it. Most trainers are great for people who want to get in shape, lose some weight and need some extra motivation, but not for people who want to be big and strong.

Anyways, if you feel like you fall under the biceps and chest guy category, I don't mean to offend you. And if youre not really sure where you fall under, but you've dedicated a whole day to just working out your arms and have never deadlifted before, you most likely fall under this category. It's not too late to change. Also, if you never go to the gym or you've haven't been there for 3 months because youre "too busy with work and school" or whatever. Think about this... you are worse than the biceps and chest guy! Anyways, I hope this motivates everyone to go out and get big and strong. Work hard and dont give up!


PS. if you only care about getting big and dont care about strength (wrong mindset), just focus on getting strong, size will come with it.


*If you need some help on how to start, here is a link to Jason Ferruggia's website. Jason Ferruggia is a motivating writer, trainer and author of an awesome book called Muscle Gaining Secrets. If you're interested, read some of his stuff and buy the book. If you're too cheap but really want to read it, just come talk to me.
http://jasonferruggia.com/

Have fun and thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. are these your secrets on how to get buff? haha

    good post though, i enjoy reading your entries, buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "how is weak man going to protect his girlfriend, be a role model for his son, fight off a mugger etc. etc.?"

    how bout buy a gun?

    ReplyDelete