Tuesday, August 18, 2009

ride-along

So I guess this post will be part 2 of my post from yesterday.

I woke up this morning kind of like how a kid would wake up on Christmas day (to a lesser extent of course). My reticular formation really snapped me into action. I opened my eyes and instantly sat up 15 minutes before my alarm even rang, immediately grabbed my phone and called Captain Place, the captain I talked about earlier. Despite only sleeping 3 hours, I felt relatively energized. Place double checked his schedule and said it was cool for me to come in today.

Long story short, I was probably at the station for about seven hours and they didn't get a single call. Well actually the engine (the truck that has all the hoses and water) got two calls while I was out on the truck (the truck that has all the ladders and other shit). Even though I didn't get to see them help anyone, I still had a great time. I got to ride in two different fire trucks around town and got to see what firefighters do at the station. Also, it feels pretty awesome riding in a firetruck just to run errands. Everyday, they play a game which involves cards and dice to see who is cooking dinner for the night. Everyone chips in some cash and the loser goes to Costco or another grocery store and buys the groceries around lunch time. It just so happened that they had free coupons to Chipotle today too, so I got a free burrito for lunch, SWEET. It was also pretty cool just to walk around Costco with them and see how many people wave at them. One of the firefighters I was with said "The difference between us and cops is that people wave at us with all five fingers." Haha, I thought that was pretty funny. Spending the day at the fire station was definitely a great experience. I got to see the more social aspect of the job. Hopefully I can go back on Thursday and see some actual cool shit.

In other news, that neck pain I was talking about earlier has reduced drastically. I am definitely pretty happy about that. The only problem is I now naturally tilt my head to the side for some reason and apparently it bothers my parents a lot. My dad keeps pushing my head into position every 5 minutes. I also got a really strange weird haircut the other day. Apparently the lady was able to correctly see that I have no sense of style and decided to cut my hair the way she thought would look best. For some reason she didn't cut the top of my hair any shorter and just kept using those scissors that thin your hair out. So now my hair is very thin and the length of my hair varies dramatically. It is like I have a regular hair length and then I have a scarce number of other hairs that stick up far above. Don't really know how else to describe it. And me, not really knowing what's suppose to look good and what's not, didn't say anything to her about it. I thought it was cool until I came home and my mom was like what the hell? Haha.. oh well.

2 comments:

  1. Damn albert. I can't believe u actually went through with the american dream of being a fireman. Ballsy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol i have barely "went through" with anything yet

    ReplyDelete